Monday, November 10, 2014

Week 10- That they might give thanks...

Each week we are taught so many fascinating truths in class. Some concern doctrines. Some character. Some are scholastic in nature. I really ought to be sharing many of them in extra emails and posts, but I don't often have extra time. We are asked to take something from our personal reading and be the teacher. We are asked to share our own insights and not just regurgitate what was taught by the instructor.

This week I read from the Book of Enos through Mosiah chapter 3. I love the plainness of truth in chapter 3 of Mosiah. I love the honesty of Omni and wish that I knew more of his story. I love how the words of Enos make me want to find my own hunger that I might follow his example and find forgiveness for my mistakes and faith for a better future for those around me. Give the Book of Mormon a chance. If you give it an earnest reading, you will be filled with knowledge and the Spirit will find place within you. Probably my favorite thing about reading the Book of Mormon is that the more you read with purpose the more the Holy Ghost will abide in you. I can't tell you the number of times I have needed confirmation or comfort and after a few verses (sometimes only one) I am filled. Comfort and peace are needed in the turmoil of life and there is a sure way to find them. Pray with desire to believe and read with intent.

There are a few thoughts that I want to share from Mosiah 2. In verse 3, and into verse 4, it tells of the people bringing their "firstlings of their flocks, that they might offer sacrifice and burnt offerings according to the law of Moses;" "And also that they might give thanks to the Lord their God".
When I read this, I stopped and wondered, "what do I sacrifice to give thanks to God?" 

In this life, it seems that few actively ponder how or what they can sacrifice to show thanks. I know that I haven't thought much about it. I give my time to my children. I try to look for ways to help those around me, but I am flawed and human and I make mistakes without number. But when I help others around me or go out of my way to serve is it really a sacrifice? Doesn't God bless us when we serve his children? Perhaps this is why King Benjamin brings up this idea in verse 20-21 in chapter 2. Even after giving thanks, praise, service, etc we are still "unprofitable servants". I don't think that he means to put down or teach that we are worthless, but that we will always be indebted to God and Christ for all that they have given us. They do not want us to fee bad about this, but understanding this concept helps us see their great love for us. They know (and so do we, I think) that we will never make the cut, but they will reward our efforts. 

There is so much more to this chapter, but I will end with the last verse. If we will "hold out faithful to the end" then we can be with God and our family (extended eternal and earthly) again and we will have the chance to "dwell with God in a state of neverending happiness." That is a lovely and incredible promise. I am so grateful for King Benjamin sharing the plain and precious truths in his address. If you can, I encourage you to read it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment